I don’t write about diet and nutrition very much, but today I found some information that I thought people would want to know.
Leah McGrath, (on Twitter @LeahMcGrathRD), says in her Twitter bio that she’s a “wife, dog owner, omnivore dietitian, agvocate, public speaker, writer, founder of @BuildupRDNs ..nutrition with a side of humor.” She posted this in a couple of tweets, and I thought I’d share them here, because this is very good information.
There are SO many weight loss diets out there… Atkins, keto, cabbage soup, paleo, grapefruit diet … you may lose weight on any and all of them but that’s NOT the point..
- How will you FEEL while you are on these restrictive diets? Will you be constantly “hangry”? Will you have energy to work and to work out?
- Will you be able to enjoy social activities, or is the diet too restrictive?
- Is this a diet that you can maintain long term?
- Are you afraid you will you gain the weight back if you quit this diet?
- Are you constantly tempted to “cheat” on the diet, do you feel guilty if you do?
These are all signs of an unsustainable eating pattern. Meeting with a dietitian can help you develop eating habits that work.